Suggested citation: Nesterko, S. O., Seaton, D. T., Kashin, K., Han, Q., Reich, J., Waldo, J., Chuang I., & Ho, A. D. (2014). World Map of Enrollment (HarvardX Insights).
The map above shows estimated enrollment numbers from each country for all HarvardX offerings.
- Total course registration is listed in the bottom left. Mouse-pointing (or tapping) at a country will reveal the estimated number of registrants from that country.
- A technical document that describes data collection procedures, known limitations, and links to source code and data is available here.
- Sergiy Nesterko, a HarvardX research fellow who designed the visualization, provides additional commentary in a blog post.
Note: Registration in an open online course does not necessarily indicate a commitment to either participate in or complete the course (see below). The visualizations above do not control for the population size or internet saturation of countries. The HarvardX Research team intends for future interactive visualizations to include more nuanced descriptions of student participation and learning in our open online learning environments.
- Ho, A. D., Reich, J., Nesterko, S. O., Seaton, D. T., Mullaney, T., Waldo, J., & Chuang, I. (2014). HarvardX and MITx: The first year of open online courses (HarvardX and MITx Working Paper No. 1). http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2381263
- DeBoer, J., Ho, A. D., Stump, G. S., & Breslow, L. (2014). Changing “course”: Reconceptualizing educational variables for Massive Open Online Courses. Educational Researcher. http://edr.sagepub.com/content/early/2014/02/06/0013189X14523038.abstract
- Reich, J., & Ho, A. D. (2014, January 23). The tricky task of figuring out what makes a MOOC successful. The Atlantic. http://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2014/01/the-tricky-task-of-figuring-out-what-makes-a-mooc-successful/283274/
- Breslow, L., Pritchard, D. E., DeBoer, J., Stump, G. S., Ho, A. D., & Seaton, D. T. (2013) Studying Learning in the Worldwide Classroom Research into edX’s First MOOC (Research and Practice in Assessment). http://www.rpajournal.com/dev/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/SF2.pdf
- Koller, D., Ng, A., Do, C., & Chen, Z. (2013) Retention and Intention in Massive Open Online Courses: In Depth (Educause Review). http://www.educause.edu/ero/article/retention-and-intention-massive-open-online-courses-depth-0
- Kizilcec, R. F., Piech, C., & Schneider, E. (2013) Deconstructing Disengagement: Analyzing Learner Subpopulations in Massive Open Online Courses (Proceedings of Learning and Knowledge). http://www.stanford.edu/~cpiech/bio/papers/deconstructingDisengagement.pdf