HarvardX integrates the development of instructional approaches and digital tools across Harvard’s campus by providing faculty with pedagogical and research support. HarvardX is one critical endeavor among many, designed to empower faculty to improve teaching and learning on-campus, online, and beyond.
A faculty-driven and university-wide effort, HarvardX aims to be collaborative and representational of Harvard’s academic diversity, showcasing the highest quality offerings of the University to serious learners everywhere.
Launched in parallel with edX, the Harvard and MIT founded not-for-profit, online learning platform, HarvardX is fully independent.
The HarvardX Mission
We have a three part mission...
- Reach: Global access
- Residential learning: Recirculation on campus
- Research: online & offline
are informed by high-level principles...
- Disciplinary breadth
- Harvard rigor
and focused upon...
What HarvardX is…
- Faculty-driven, experimental catalyst for improving teaching and learning online, on-campus, and beyond
- Talent and resources (tools, video production, techniques) to develop, disseminate, and test interactive teaching and learning assets.
- Research experts in data and pedagogy, providing a foundation for research in experimental design teaching and learning
- Academically diverse, highest quality, innovative collection of online learning activities to empower faculty teaching, enhance student learning, and support research (including best practice)
- A process that increases faculty and student opportunities in a financially sustainable manner
What HarvardX is not…
- A replacement of the residential campus experience or traditional curriculum
- Simply putting static courses and/or course materials online
- A learning management system (with course administration and integration)
How HarvardX benefits faculty…
- Provides additional pedagogical support and helps integrate existing resources
- Offers more and more accessible technologies and tools (open source toolkit)
- Supports a broad plan to build, broader learning management ecosystem
- Promotes scholarship of teaching and learning
HarvardX has office and production facilities at 125 Mt. Auburn Street, 4th floor.